[Alberg30] boom vangs and Joe #499

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Fri Jan 24 11:50:03 PST 2003

Jay - let me share a bit on this as I installed one on an earlier boat.
For our size boats RV 20-1 for 28-33 ft boats would be right. The cost
is $253.00. Less if you purchase it at a boat show. Garhauer will send
you measuring directions. You also have to make a tracing of the shape
of your boom and mast. They will use that to create a custom fitting for
the boom and mast attachment points. When I added one to my CAL, the
only thing I found you had to pay attention to was following the
directions about pulling the boom down to the right level so that you
could position the boom attachment bracket correctly. Otherwise, the
process was very straight forward. I will be interested to see if chris'
experience was like mine. The guy to speak with at Garhauer is Mark.

>>> jay at saildriver.com 01/24/03 02:14PM >>>

Chris,
Which model Garhauer rigid boom vang did you get? I also am interested
in getting rid of my topping lift.
Have you installed the vang yet? Any complications?
Jay Davenport
Revolution, A30 #526
 greeksailor at att.net wrote:Harry, Congradulations on the purchase of
#394 and welcome to the list. I am
quite new to the list as well (3 yrs), I purchased Kasia #383 and the
list has
been an intregal part of the boat.

I am in the process of installing a Hard-Vang; I purchased
the "Garhauer".....Georges comments are absolutely perfect...however,
my
topping lift bothers me a lot and I wanted to get away from looking at
it chafe
the main...I bought a cockpit topping lift adjuster but it doesn't do
much when
the boom is not reach-able, so I decided to spend the $265 to get the
hard vang

Chris Katehis
Kasia #383
Cold New York
> Hello Alberg Org.,
>
> I am a new owner of #394 and I have been listening and learning in
the back for
> a while. I am most appreciative of George and all the rest of you for
the
> tremendous resource you collectively offer. I've been trolling the
archives for
> answers to many of my questions that have not come up since I've been
on and now
> with the doldrums upon us I suppose it's as good a time as any to
enter into the
> fray...
>
> I have not used a boom vang and could possibly purchase one
(non-rigid Schaeffer
> #1100 ? "$75 like new") and would be interested in some thoughts pro/
con re:
> rigid/ non.
>
> Also, I came a cross a spectacular picture of Joe? sailing #499 "One
Less
> Travelled"? in warm waters? while surfing some months ago and cannot
retrieve
> the origin. Does anyone know of his/ her whereabouts, I'd like
contact him?
> Photo attached to warm the frost-bitten souls of sailors like me on
the coast of
> Maine.
>
> Thank you,
> Henry Hilliard
> #394 Celeste

> Get 25MB, POP3, Spam Filtering with LYCOS MAIL PLUS for $19.95/year.
> http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus&ref=lmtplus
>
> Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book? Or just any book,
but
> looking for a good deal on a used book? Check the Advanced Book
Exchange,
> one of my personal favorite online stores!
> http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book? Or just any book, but

looking for a good deal on a used book? Check the Advanced Book
Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html
Include command "unsubscribe
" in subject or body.
Use command "help" for more