[Alberg30] Spreaders

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 12:29:56 PST 2003

Hi Peter,

Since your hull #478 you have the tubular spreaders that fit into SS sockets
on the mast the same as I have on my boat (#505). Several years ago #527
lost their mast in a race due to a speader failure which prompted me to take
my mast down for a close inspection of the spreaders. On the lower part of
the spreader where it rubbed on the edge of the socket, my tubes were almost
cut all the way through due to the movement of the spreaders in the socket.
I changed my tubes to heavier guage aluminum tubes and found a tube that
would fit snug in the socket. I suggest that you examine your spreaders
closely for wear, as should everone that has round spreaders.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505