[Alberg30] Alberg 30 photos

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jan 29 21:32:06 PST 2003

Actually, I have no fixed quota.  That's one of the reasons I chose the
ISP that I did.

I've had a web site for the Alberg 30 Association for 8 years, a fairly
long time in cyberspace.  I set up a mailing list, first on OneList
(remember them) which was swallowed by eGroups which was swallowed by
Yahoo!  Yahoo! sometimes included web-bugs in their email advertising,
which I consider to be an invasion of privacy.  (It allows them to see
everytime you read that email in an html-enabled mail client, and can
sometimes be traced to your email address.)  That was one of the things
that convinced me it was time for the alberg30.org domain.

The purpose of all this was
   1. to interest people in the Alberg 30 and provide information to
interested people, and
   2. to enable the out-of-Annapolis members to become a more active
part of the Association.

I've been involved with online communities since the mid 1980's on
Compuserve.  The mailing list seemed, to me, to be the best vehicle for
creating a community of Alberg 30 enthusiasts.  I've built this
community slowly over time, as it's been more of a hobby than a job.
I'm paid more attention to discussing the boats than to adding whiz-bang
technology to the site.  I spend much more time on it than I should,
answering email, deleting spam and viruses, and adding useful
information to the site.  I've done this through a time-period that
included a parade of jobs, and kept the site from being dependent on any
of those jobs.

I have no problem with other people putting up sites about the Alberg
30.  In fact, I think it's a great idea.  I've got links from here to
some of them.  Anyone can add a link in the Collaborate section; I don't
have the time to keep a link list up to date.

But we've got a relatively small community, here.  That's probably good,
as it keeps the message volume manageable.  (I'm on some lists that hit
over a hundred messages a day.)  We've achieved a large enough community
that it seems to be self-sustaining.

But when someone else puts up a site offering online discussion groups
and proposing to be a community of Alberg 30 sailors, I fear that the
community will split and no longer have that critical mass that makes an
online community work.  That's why I pretty much shut down the
yahoogroups list after I started this one.  There's no point in having
to check two places for the same discussions.  People will use one or
the other, and with the current number of people involved, it's likely
that both will suffer from the split.

And when someone else goes to one community to tout another community on
the same topic, it's generally called poaching if they haven't asked
permission first.  Now, after this discussion, I don't think that's what
Bill intended, but his intent was not clear to me at first.

After all this is said, I will continue to run this site as I have done,
for those that want to participate, for as long as it seems to me to be
worthwhile.  I welcome feedback on the site and mailing list, but I
think it's time to return to sailing topics.  That's the key thing.

  - George

T.C. Williams wrote:
> I agree that George should be applauded for his work.  But the key thing
> I haven't seen mentioned is that Bill's company is giving the space
> away.  I'm sure George is being charged a small fee by someone for the
> priveledge of hosting Alberg30.org.  And you can be sure there is a
> limit to the amount of disk space George is allowed to use.  If you
> start letting everybody upload all of their wonderful 1MB+ files to the
> web site, that space will soon be exhausted.  Bill is offering more room
> for free.
>
> Thanks Bill and Thanks George,
>
> TC Williams
> Argo #247

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html