[Alberg30] Hull etching

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Fri Jan 31 08:40:51 PST 2003

If that etched mark is the design waterline, keep in mind Whitby increased
ballast weight by 300 lbs. Checkmate rides right at the design mark aft
(using the 1" I have raised the waterline as a guide) when I have all my
cruising junk off the boat (sails off too). The bow is maybe 2" high mostly
because the water tank is empty, I think. The diesal I have is maybe 50 lbs
or so heavier than the original A4 too.

I like the idea of my painted waterline being somewhat close to design-it
encourages me to keep stuff off the boat. I use a bootstripe paint that has
a lot of bronze in it, though, for a backup position. I guess the copper in
bronze makes it antifouling...

A boat with a 21 foot water line, full keel or no, has got to be weight
sensitive. Then again, the Alberg is incredibly forgiving. I'm keeping her
;-)

Michael

Another thought; water absorbed by fiberglas below the water line wouldn't
increase displacement, would it?

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html