[Alberg30] Bimini

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Thu Jul 24 04:15:44 PDT 2003

If you have a bimini, where is it mounted? On the deck or on the wooden
cockpit seat back rail? Do you use it while sailing or motoring? Do you have
pictures for an example?

We have one that came with our A30. Looks homemade, but it works. With our
old main, we could cruise with it up and by easing the main a few inches on
a tack, it would clear the top, but just barely. This year, with our new
sail, it is looking to be impossible due to the lower boom height with this
new cut on the main. (We don¹t have a dodger).

I¹m thinking I can make it work by moving the mounts from the rail down to
the wooden trim on the outside of the rail by the deck, just forward of the
winches so that the winch handles will still turn 360 degrees. I haven¹t
tried it yet. (The other problem is I don¹t really know which way is the
front or back of the bimini. It seems to fit either way, it¹s just choosing
whether or not to leave the cockpit from the front or back of the bimini.)

Photos or comments would be great. I¹m going to try to put it on the boat
again this year after the races this weekend for our Governor's Cup cruise
next week. (Last year it was 100+ degrees for all three days, but the winds
were decent.)

Thanks.

Bill Blevins
³Sabrina² #158

PS: The other option is to cut the poles a few inches and keep it mounted on
the rail. Either way though, it will be 6-8 inches lower than last year,
(I¹m 6¹ 2²) but keeping the sun off and still sailing is my goal.