[Alberg30] Re. Bimini.

Maggie Ross nauticallyyours-maggie at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 24 15:27:43 PDT 2003

Bill Blevins wrote:
>This year, with our new sail, it is looking to be impossible due to the lower boom height with this new cut on the main. (We don't  have a dodger).

Bill, it is a pity your sailmaker didn't ask if you had a dodger or bimini before he designed the sail. He may still be willing to modify it for you for a small charge.

If you measure the distance from the cockpit floor to the top of the bimini, then move it or collapse it. Now measure from the cockpit floor to the bottom of the boom (sheeted down as hard as you can get it). Now subtract your first number from the second measurement. All your sailmaker has to do is reduce the length of the leech at the clew, by an additional two inches from your final number, and taper the foot of the sail forward to the tack without moving the tack. The aft end of the boom will now ride a little higher and give you all the clearance you need.

Maggie.
Strathgowan, #400.