[Alberg30] FW Water pump?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Fri Jul 25 15:31:48 PDT 2003

Greetings from Seattle,
    A question about the FW water pump on my Universal 3-20 MB diesel (this
is not about the SW rubber impeller driven pump):

    I've noticed a few drops of rusty water coming out occasionally from the
weep hole on the underside of the front of this pump.  It's been suggested
to me (strongly) that it's time to replace the thing as it could go (freeze
up) any time.

    Does that sound about right?

    What would cause this to happen on a 6 yr old engine with 370hrs?

    Are the parts needed likely to be the bearing and seal and gasket, and
not the entire pump?

    This is, of course, a breakdown that VIRTUALLY NEVER happens...

    Any thought appreciated!

Cheers,
Randy Katz
Seattle, WA.