[Alberg30] Water Tank Leak

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Tue Jul 29 06:32:31 PDT 2003

My question pertains to hull #433 which is of the later design.

I have noted that after sailing in relatively rough conditions and a
substantially full water tank that over the course of a day as much as 8-10
gallons of water will find it's way from the tank to the bilge.  This
happens without any obvious signs of water in the cabin or in the storage
area between the tank top and v-berth cushions.  The inspection port is
well sealed and does not leak.  The lid of the tank has been repaired in
the past with what appears to be a thick coating of epoxy.   Am I correct
that the tank is a separate layer of gellcoat that is mated directly to or
adjascent to the hull and enclosed with a separate top?  If it were to leak
at the edges,  especially on a steep heel,  could the water simply run down
the interior hull between the tank and hull and flow directly to the bilge?
And finally does anybody have any ideas as to a remedy;  do I reseal the
top from the outside or try to somehow run a bead of sealant along the
interior edge through the access port?

Your comments are appreciated.
Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433  Mathews, Va.