[Alberg30] Re. Back rest - settee.

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Jul 21 10:44:57 PDT 2003

The problem with making the bunk better for seating is it reduces the width
for sleeping.  Current bunk width is about 28" which is minimal but workable
for adult sleeping.  Seating depth is 12" to 16" for the butt and an
additional 4" to 6" for the back rest (including diagonal slope).  Table
chairs tend to be shallower than lounge chairs.

One solution would be to have the new back rest (4" to 6" inboard of the
existing back rest) hinge at the top and fold up to attach to the overhead
or form a pilot berth (actually, more like a bunk bead).

The existing backrest would probably need to stay but the new vertical
cavity (between old and new) would be a perfect place for the bedding
storage mentioned.

The clearances for a pilot berth are tight and I will check feasibility.  If
the new backrest served only as a backrest (not a bunk), it could be much
shorter.

Roger Kingsland
A30 #148