[Alberg30] Mast bend

Melissa Currier mcurrier at spinrx.com
Fri Jul 25 06:37:48 PDT 2003

I have had the same question about approprite fore and aft position of the
mast on an Alberg.  I am used to racing on other bigger, faster boats that
have adjustable back stays and check stays for upwind and "fraculators"
for cranking the rig forward on the jib halyard when downwind under chute.

I am very curious about your findings.  It seems inverse to normal trim
and tune theory to point better with the rig forward upwind...  But maybe
that's just the way these boats go?  Any thoughts from others?

I would be curious about fore and aft tensions.  I am also curious about
how much jib halyard tension you had for the light air.

We've been battling the >44 degree pointing angles ourselves...  Looking
forward to this discussion.

Melissa Currier
Alberg 30 #57

> A30 racers,
>
> I just re-read the past threads on rig tension again. (We race.) I
> thought we were pointing pretty good in most wind conditions until we
> had some "experienced" racers sail with us last week. (They loved the
> A30 by the way). During the race, the comments were "this boat should
> point higher than this". (In 4-6 knots of wind the aparent wind angle
> off the bow was 43-45 degrees).
>
> I've been thinking about this all week, so last night I went to the
> boat, loosened the forestay, took the backstay all the way in and
> snugged up the forestay again. This probably added 2 inches to the
> forestay and took away 2 in the back. (The backstay is as far "in" as it
> can be adjusted now).
>
> I had previously set the mast so that the top was directly over the base
> with the forward bend being pulled slightly to the bow by the forward
> lowers. NOW, there is a gentle bend aft and the top of the mast is
> obviously not over the base anymore.
>
> I see that's not what has been suggested in previous threads on this
> topic but I was wondering if those of you who DO have backstay adjusters
> see that your rig looks "curved" when the backstay is on going to
> windward.
>
> I went sailing last night in about 3-4 knots of wind and the aparent
> wind angle seemed to improve about 5 degrees on each side. I was reading
> 38-40 degrees.
>
> I'm happy with the result, just questioning if this is good for the mast
> to ALWAYS have a bend - since I don't have a backstay adjuster yet.
> (Still have to buy a vang first, new snatch blocks...list goes on and
> on...)
>
> (I have my tensions written down and can look them up if that's needed
> by any of you to answer my question.)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bill Blevins
> "Sabrina" #158