[Alberg30] Butane - Propane - Alcohol Stoves.

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Jul 25 19:25:56 PDT 2003

Maggie Ross wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Heavier than air - like propane - if it collects in the bilge -
>> boom
>
> Use same safety criteria as for propane.
>
> It is our understanding that Butane is lighter than Propane,
> therefore it rises rather than filling the bilge like Propane.
> Cautions should always be taken with all fuels.

No, while butane is lighter than propane, it is still heavier than air
and will still fill the bilges if spilled inside the boat.

  - George

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy