[Alberg30] Mast bend

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Sat Jul 26 05:29:46 PDT 2003

>aparent wind angle seemed to improve about 5 degrees >on each side

Being able to tack through 80 degrees instead of 90 is a huge improvement.
What mast bend does is flatten the main (assuming forestay tension remains
the same and genoa luff sag is equivalent). Is the main luffing how you are
guaging what your minimum wind angle is? I've always navigated on a tacking
angle of 90-allowing 2-3 degrees for leeway. I imagine it would be real
tricky (polar graphs and all that) to verify total improvement in
performance. It seems to me a bunch of match racing  would be required to
make sure improvement in pointing hasen't compromised boat speed through the
water.

>I don't have a backstay adjuster yet.

Work never seize into the threads of your backstay turnbuckle and use it as
your backstay adjuster. I love the stuff, but make sure you clean off the
excess-it'll permanently stain sails if they get in the way. The main thing
is to keep the mast from driving into the cabin. Taking pressure off the rig
when not in use goes a long ways to keep that from happening.

Someone else mentioned mast pumping on this thread. That action represents
energy being used to deflect aluminum instead of making the boat go through
the water faster. Gotta control that as much as possible with the lower aft
shrouds...at least, in my opinion. The massive shock loading of that action
isen't good, either.

Michael