[Alberg30] heaving to on the main only

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Thu Jul 31 20:40:42 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 02:58  PM, Dave Terrell wrote:

> Is it possible to heave to with only the main up and if so, how do you
> do it? A friend of mine and i have been trying to do this and have not
> succeeded so far. Both of us have boats with traditonal shaped hulls.

Dave,

Barbara and I successfully heaved to in Wind Call using only the
working jib. Everything I had read said that you always heaved to with
main and jib but we had been sailing all night under conditions that
would not let us use the autopilot and we were exhausted and facing the
possibility that we might have to continue all day. We sailed
close-hauled with only the working jib and I tried tacking without
releasing the sheet as I had done in the past when heaving to with main
and jib. It took 4 or 5 tries before it heaved to. After I got it right
the boat moved sideways and left a slick to windward for about a
hundred feet and the breaking waves broke at the edge of the slick
instead of at the boat. The motion was completely comfortable and the
boat heeled but did not roll and required no attention. We had heaved
to near a buoy and stayed heaved to for an hour. We were able to sail
back and find the buoy and determined that we  had moved 2  kn in the
hour.

We had previously heaved to with main and jib and I really did not
think that the boat would heave to with only the jib. We were
pleasantly surprised that it worked with the jib only. As it turned
out,  the fog lifted to about 100 yards visibility and we were able to
get into a harbor about 5 miles away.

Hope this helps.

	Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397