[Alberg30] heaving to on the main only

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Jul 31 13:04:56 PDT 2003

Hello gang,

In order to heave to under main alone you need a heck of a lot of wind and
less mainsail.  Albergs will do it but the trick is to never let the boat
get going fast enough that the rudder can complete the tack it is trying to
do but cannot in "normal" heaving to.

You've just got to keep in mind that in "main and jib" heaving to it is the
headsail that is completing the "swoop" equation.  Without the headsail you
have to rely on the windage of the bow and forward rigging to do the job of
keeping the speed down and shoving her head down each time she slows.

  It works like this...

The main is trying to push the boat ahead, but since you have lashed the
helm down, every time the boats gets way on her she rounds up into the wind.
She would keep going and tack but the backed jib is pushing back and down,
so the boat slows and overpowers the rudder and stalls.  Over and over.  If
you want to make less headway and keep the bow more into the wind, haul in
the main.  If you want her to lie with her head further off the wind, ease
the main.

Gord
#426 Surprise