[Alberg30] Rudder - Gudgeon area inside hull

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 21:38:38 PDT 2003

I dug that area out on #23, There is a 24" area between the back of the
internal pig iron ballast and the very back edge where the gudgeon (a kind of cast
bronze shoe fitted into a recessed area in the heel of the boat) is screwed in
strictly from the bottom (not side to side). That area inside the hull was
filled with a rough cut piece of 2 by 4 and thoro-seal cement and then covered
with raw resin to provide a finish to the bilge fair with the top of the
ballast below the engine area. Oil from the engine had deteriorated the resin
covering and the wood and cement were infiltrated with oil and water. So I hung
upside down for days to dig and clean it out, and I can tell you, the bottom of
the hull is maybe 2-3 inches thick and inside of that is nothing you can really
trust to hold anything, especially if it's been compromised as mine was over
the years.
Now, keep in mind that mine is an early (linerless) boat and that the area
was full of oily bilge for most of its life. Also, techniques of how this area
was finished off may have changed when the original hull molds burned and the
new molds made. I can only tell you about my boat.
I wound up filling the area with a mixture of chopped mat and resin.
Good luck.
Paul Cicchetti
#23 Ashwagh