[Alberg30] Mainsail Comments

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 2 13:43:49 PDT 2003

There is a difference between footless and loose footed. I have sailed with both a loose footed and fully attached footed sail at different times, and find that you can do with either once used to trimming. There is no way to race with a loose footed sail in an Alberg 30, so you restrict the market for the value of the sail if you want to resell it. Check the rest of the restrictions if you think it may ever end up with a racer. Big roaches tend to catch on the backstay, and can be quite dangerous on jibes for both ripped sails and broaches. I have both a
full battened and a new 2 + 2,  and have sailed both, the full battens may hold sail shape over a longer time, but one can trim for better shape with less on the lower part of the main. These days UPS charges extra for shipping full batten lengths, so most sailmakers like the shorter ones. The new North was $ 2300 Cdn or about 1600 US at the time I bought it.
Don Campbell # 528