[Alberg30] Mainsail Comments

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Tue Jun 3 08:38:43 PDT 2003

I  have an old sail with a bolt rope, but am using the sail as a
loosefooted sail - it woks great. One design racing is not an option
here in grand traverse bay, but with  this  sail I can have it both
ways.

What is the difference between a loose footed sail and a footless sail?
Someone made the distinction and I am no know what the difference is and
would like to know.

>>> johnbrugeman at ameritech.net 06/01/03 08:44PM >>>
Contemplating the purchase of a new mainsail for the Mermaid #305 and
would like some comments on the configuration of the sail.  Does anyone
sail with a footless sail and what are the advantages or disadvantages?
What are the pros or cons of a curved or arched leech edge on the sail?
The sail I have been using is probably the original mainsail on the boat
with 3 reefing pts, Dutchman fairleads, leech line, cunningham, batten
pockets, etc. and I'm being given a cost of about $1700.  How many
battens and what length?  Any comments would be appreciated.

John Brugeman
Mermaid #305