[Alberg30] Icebox Insulation

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Sun Jun 29 03:55:27 PDT 2003

>Has anyone tried to use the expanding foam type >insulation in the
>space between the icebox and cabinet on the old style, >stand-up,
>icebox.

Yes. The problem is the "pink Panther" fiberglas insulation Whitby used as
the existing insuation-it's probably water saturated and not very efficient
in the first place

I converted mine to a chest type ( I found out about the fiberglas stuff
dismantling the original icebox) and used the expanding foam to fill gaps in
curved spaces, etc. As it is expanding it is exerting a lot of pressure;
make sure the stuff can vent off in some direction. I used a long length of
vinyl tubing to start the process at the bottom of the fabrication, then
pulled the hose out as it was filling.

I can go a week now with one good load of block ice-a major improvement. I
was getting halfway used to drinking warm beer.

Michael

Oh yeah, you are supposed to use metal foil to sheild the space from infra
red radiation-the engine side, and if the outer hull becomes part of the
modification.