[Alberg30] Alberg sails and rigging

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Jun 22 06:05:02 PDT 2003

Norman,

Unless you're going to sail the Southern Ocean, I think you'll find that
the wire is already oversized compared to most boats with a rig this
size.  The chainplate bolts, unless they've been replaced, are the weak
link.  Either upgrade them to 5/16" or double the number of 1/4" bolts,
and don't use bolts threaded all the way down the shank.

Going to an all-rope main halyard generally just involves taking the
sheave to a machine shop and having them machine the groove to
accomodate the rope.
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/SparsSailsRigging/MainSheave/

Sails seem to generally run around 1200-1700 apiece, depending on what
you get.  You're unlikely to find a used mainsail in good condition, but
you may find a genoa or storm sails, made for another boat, that can be
used.

You can replace the wood under the genoa track with plastic, but also
consider how long the wood lasted.

http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/SparsSailsRigging/UnsteppingMast/

  - George

norman gundersheim wrote:
> Hello All bergers,
> I am looking at an Alberg here on the west coast and the boat is in good
> shape cosmetically and it needs sails and new standing and running rigging.
> I eventually want to do some serious blue water cruising with it and would
> like to replace the existing rigging with the next size up wire rope. I
> would also like to replace the wire/rope halyards with plain rope halyards.
> 1)I am looking for an estimate and feedback on the cost of replacing all the
> rigging?
> 2) i need some idea what new or good used sails will cost me Main, Jib, and
> Storm jib for starters?
> 3) I need to know a good source for used sails?
> 4) The wood under the sail track has deteriorated and needs to be replaced
> any suggestions?
> 5) I need instructions on unstepping the mast?
>
> Thanks up front
>  Norm

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy