[Alberg30] Yanmar 2GM30 Installation

Voyager Toronto voyagertoronto at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:27:59 PST 2003

I'm installing a new Yanmar 2GM30F. I knew from messages on this list that
others have installed this engine, so did not anticipate any problems with
fit, especially as my (old) hull#30 has no liner -- just went ahead and
bought the engine. Imagine my surprise, then, trying to fit the template I
made of the engine in order to determine the position of the engine bed. My
template is telling me the hull profile in this area is too shallow: with
the aftermost flexible engine mounts sitting on the bare hull in the
fore-and-aft and athwartships position they would need to be, and my
template on top of them, the engine coupling is vertically higher than the
shaft coupling. I've checked and rechecked the measurements on my template
against the engine diagram/specs, hoping I've made a mistake. but no luck.
An engineering friend of mine who looked at it thinks (assuming my template
is accurate) the only workable solution is to install the aftermost engine
mounts outside of (inside of under) the engine and suspend the after-end of
the engine from brackets attached to these mounts. Can those who've
installed this engine say if you've had a similar experience? Are all four
of your mounts sitting UNDER the engine where they should be?  I hope
someone can point out to me where I  have made a huge mistake, because I
didn't anticipate a problem of this proportion. From visual inspection, it
would not appear the problem can be solved by using a longer shaft, brought
forward. The new engine is replacing a Volvo MD7A.

Calvin, Voyager#30

 |      Standard Horizon HX350S   --   ON SALE NOW   --   Submersible Handheld VHF      |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=21563 |