[Alberg30] Toe rail

Finkenberg, Lincoln S. lsFinkenberg at bryancave.com
Wed Mar 19 09:38:27 PST 2003

	I need to replace the section of the toe rail where the bow chock
was.  Do I try to replace just the damaged portion or do I remove the entire
length back to the first joint I come across?  I won't put the bow chock
back on the toe rail - so maybe because it will not be under stress from
mooring lines and the like its not a big deal to replace just the damaged
portion?

	In removing just the damaged portion - if that route is not a
serious mistake - do I simply determine if that section is bolted down and
if so remove the bolts and then cut on either side of the portion I wish to
remove - cutting in such a fashion as to allow for a decent joint when I
install the new section of the toe rail?  What's the best type of joint for
the job. Is the joint doweled and epoxied?  Any must haves in terms of tools
and supplies that the average part time do it yourselfer probably does not
have?

	Is there a way to get a decent mold of the shape of the toe rail
that I need to replace so that when I'm working away from the boat I can get
the replacement pretty close - I'd rather not pull the old piece off prior
to molding the new piece.  Do I just measure and do the geometry or should I
really remove the section first and use that as a mold? I'd like to keep the
old piece on just in case things get ugly.

	The current toe rail is shaped such that the inside of the rail is a
bit rounded - narrower on the top then the bottom.  How the heck can I get
that sort of shape - or at least close?

	Your insights are appreciated,

	Linc, Gypsy #138, Oyster Bay

This electronic mail message contains information that(a)is or may be
LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR
OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and(b)is intended only
for the use of the Addressee(s)named herein. If you are not the
intended recipient, an addressee, or the person responsible for
delivering this to an addressee, you are hereby notified that
reading, using, copying, or distributing any part of this message
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail
message in error, please contact us immediately and take the steps
necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system.
Thank you.
 |      Standard Horizon HX350S   --   ON SALE NOW   --   Submersible Handheld VHF      |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=21563 |