[Alberg30] Re: steel in exhaust

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Mar 24 18:35:41 PST 2003

 I STRONGLY recommend using bronze throughout the exhaust system, or at
least  between the engine and the muffler.
    The people I bought BRIGADOON II from used galvanized plumbing. The
elbow broke in mid-Bay in a calm, 15 miles from a port where I could get
repairs. I felt silly calling Sea-Tow for that. We were able to get the
water overboard, but the exhaust carbon spread almost throughout the
boat. It took four years and we still found black stuff in places. It
created a major mess.

    House-grade steel pipe is not up to the ravages of hot exhaust and
sea water.

- Gordon White, A-275