[Alberg30] Re: Throttle/shift controls

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 13:43:41 PST 2003

I need help, my shift control has seized up. I have a dual lever side mount
control. I can no longer read the manufacturer's name but it begins with the
letter 'M." I have a later model '74 with an Atomic4. I removed the control
from the boat and have it partially disassemlbed. The throttle mechanism can
apart easily.  It is a small hex drive shaft (3/8-1/2 in.) with plastic
sleeve bearing on the cylindrical areas.

The shift mechanism is a much larger hex drive. I removed a split ring that I
thought would allow me to drive the shaft out of the Alum. housing.  I don't
have an arbor press but I was unable to drive it out with a drift (punch).  I
don't want to heat the housing in case there are plastic sleeve bearings
inside.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Has anyone else run into this problem?
Does anyone know the brand name and if a use control can be obtained?

Could someone forward me the phone # for Bacon's (I believe that's the name
of the used supplier in Annapolis)?

I see that the new West Marine catalog has an SL-3, dual function - single
lever control $239 pg 305 and a MJB dual lever control similar in function to
mine (pg 306) for $500. Quite pricey! Has anyone used either of these?

Again, I would appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Thanks,
Jim Allocco