[Alberg30] Does anyone have the phone...

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Tue Mar 4 14:27:50 PST 2003

Thanks. I scrolled down! what an original idea!!! Looks like NZ found
the technological limits referred to below.

Dave Terrell wrote:
> I think it was Southern Spars - an NZ company. They have a  good
> reputation, and surely say they build to specifications.

 From http://www.southernspars.com/pages/raceindex.cfm comes this
interesting information:

In February 2003, Team New Zealand will be defending the America's
Cup
for the second time. The start date for the challengers in the Louis
Vuitton is set for 1st October, 2002. In all, there will be nine
challengers competing through various round robins and sail offs for a
place in the America's Cup. Of these nine challengers, seven will
carry
spars manufactured by Southern Spars. Team New Zealand has also
continued their ongoing relationship with Southern Spars and will
again
carry a Southern rig.

The last few years have seen the various Southern Project Managers
liaising with their respective syndicates translating their ideas into
reality. As designs are the responsibility of each respective
syndicate,
the Southern Project Manager's role is to take the designs and
oversee
them into the creation of the finished product.

Within the IACC class, there are parameters in which the measurements
of
the boats must be built. These rules also define building materials.
For
example, spars cannot be built with high modulus carbon fibre, a
lighter, but more expensive option, than the specified intermediate
modulus carbon fibre. The challenge therefore lies to utilise the
intermediate modulus carbon fibre the most effectively, to produce the
lightest and strongest rig possible. The physics of the materials and
those within the sailing environment will ultimately define the
performance of the spar. In the drive to claim the technological edge,
/limits need to be pushed/ to see where boundaries lie. /Until a
boundary is broken it cannot be said where it lies/ and much of the
pre-competition testing has been about defining these limits.

With Southern's history of technological developments and leading
edge
techniques, there has been a demand for Southern built America's Cup
spars. Southern Spar's background with IACC rigs gives them an
expertise
that no other spar manufacturer. can match. Southern's involvement
with
the current generation of IACC rigs allows the company /to continue to
push the boundaries/ in design concepts through the development of
manufacturing techniques a processes and thus allow syndicates to
realise their designs in finished products.

I think Southern Spars broke a few boundaries in this race series. ;-)

  - George

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George
Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,
gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,
http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P.
Cavafy

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719