[Alberg30] Thru hulls

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 11:40:51 PST 2003

The smaller diameter thru-hull were home-made by Whitby. Essentially the
were a piece of threaded pipe put through the hull with a washer on the
outside. The outside of the pipe was mashed over (sometimes soldered) on the
washer. The inside had a nut screwed over the threads. Electrolysis would
attack the washer and it would fall off and the pipe would fall off on the
inside of the boat. Several have sunk from this proble and you never know
when the failure will occur. The last time I bought a 1/2" or 3/4" bronze
genuine thru-hull fitting they were about $10-$12. There is NO reason not to
change these older fitting if you find them on your boat. The simple way to
tell is to scrape the bottom paint off the fitting if it looks like a washer
with pipe lip around the center hole - get rid of it! Hope this helps. We
have pictures of failed parts if that would help.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505