[Alberg30] Bow chock

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Fri Mar 7 17:54:43 PST 2003

>         The original bow chocks were right on top of the toe rail.  I
>moor the boat in the summer and have learned the hard way - a bow chock
>and part of the toe rail ripped off.  After repairing the toe rail I'd
>like to find an alternative place for the chock (the other one to).  Any
>idea where else to place the bow chocks?  Thanks.
>         Linc - Gypsy #138

I thought I was the only one that happened to; I guess everything in an
Alberg has happened before.

I repaired the toe rail (tough job to scarf the replacement section in
right) and replaced the chock in the original location since I couldn't
think of a better rig. But what turned out to be successful, was to
afterwards use a longer mooring pennant catenary and fit it with a
"snubber", a heavy rubber shock absorber. This way the shock load  on the
line and chock is minimized. It's worked well for several years now, and
I'm in one of the bumpiest mooring fields around.

Good luck,
Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |