[Alberg30] cockpit coamings

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Mar 9 15:59:07 PST 2003

Jay,

I believe that black rubber gasket was original.  Yes, it was very hard
to remove.  The first time I rebedded the coamings, I just used caulk,
and a lot of it.  The second time, I followed the lead of Bud Dolber and
used a 2" wide strip of 1/16" neoprene gasket.  Then I caulked just the
deck/coaming joint.  I like the second way better.

You can find this material at an industrial gasket place (look under
"gaskets" in the yellow pages).  You may want to shop around.  I paid
considerably more than Bud did (for a quantity that almost amounts to
scrap for such a place), but the location was more convenient for me and
time was precious.

  - George

Jay Davenport wrote:
> I am refinishing my cockpit coamings on Revolution, A30 #526. Getting
> them off was very difficult, as the prior owner apparently put a
> two-sided rubber tape between the wooden coaming and the fiberglass
> deck. This acted as a caulk/adhesive, which bonded the wooden
> coamings to the fiberglass. I assume that the reason for putting it
> there was to avoid having deck water run under the coaming and into
> the cockpit. I don't plan on replacing it, as the problem of deck
> water seems pretty minimal to me. Does anyone have any other thoughts
> on this?

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |