[Alberg30] attaching exhaust hose

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Mon Mar 10 11:17:36 PST 2003

I ground my pipe a little at the tip and lubed the hose up with vasoline
it went on hard but I got it on ok and used one of those expensive hose
clamps.

I am replacing my pipe and flange too this spring does anyone see a
reason why I couldnt use stainless pipe? It is available locally and I
can weld the raw water return to it without a problem

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> My exhaust pipe is 1-1/4" standard iron pipe, culminating in a piece
> of 1-1/4" bronze nipple with a bronze water injection pipe brazed into
> the side at an angle.  According to
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mjvanvoorhis/t103.htm 1-1/4"
> pipe has an O.D. of 1.660", which corresponds pretty well to my own
> measurements (a shade over 1-19/32").
>
> I'm trying to put a piece of 1-1/2" I.D. hose over this.  It looks as
> if the last time I did so, I cut the inner lining on the end of the
> pipe and allowed hot water and exhaust to get between the layers of
> the hose.  This has caused premature deterioration of the hose.
>
> The problem is that this is a long way to stretch a hose.  The inlet
> to the muffler is only about 1-17/32" O.D. and the fit is not
> difficult. I'm worried about using any sort of lubricant, here, for
> fear that it will never seal well.  I've wondered if using a slightly
> cheaper exhaust hose (this is Shields premium hose, with the blue &
> green stripe down the side and spiral wire reinforcement) might
> stretch a little easier and last longer than mistreated expensive hose.
>
> So, I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom.
>
>  - George

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |