[Alberg30] Toe Rail vs. Bulwarks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Mar 11 11:47:25 PST 2003

And your purpose for doing this is???

The problem with reengineering anything is that you then have to
reengineer other parts to match.  A common example of this is DC-powered
refrigeration.  This requires bigger batteries.  This requires better
charging.  This requires a bigger alternator.  This requires dual
alternator belts.  This requires a more sophisticated mounting and
tensioning arrangement...

As for your idea, you're moving from holes at the toe rails to holes at
the bulwark mounting brackets.  The hull-deck joint is, by its shape, a
very strong and rigid part of the boat.  The deck, being flat, does not
have such rigidity.  Even on an older boat, I think you will have to
rebuild the deck where you mount the brackets to increase the strength.
  You're asking it to take a load it was never designed to take.  The
deck will, if flexed from inboard by the brackets, act as a lever on the
hull-deck joint.

In short, I'm sceptical that this is a good idea.  In any event, it's
much too big a change to trust to a variety of untutored opinions on
this list.  I *strongly* recommend hiring the services of a good naval
architect before proceeding in this modification.

  - George

Gary Barker wrote:
> I am looking for input about replacement of toe rails.  Right now, I am
> committed to removal, reinforcing and glassing the hull/deck joint and
> using bulwarks.  But one question that i have concerns  what might
> happen when the bulwarks get buried.  That is, will they have the
> strength of the toe rail.  [snip]
> I am not as keen on attaching everything to the stantions, but I want to
> have cast bronze mounting brackets that support the bulwark and are
> through bolted.  Probably set every four feet or so.  [snip]
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary Barker

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |