[Alberg30] Atomic 4 exhaust riser

Bob bob at fox.nstn.ca
Mon Mar 24 06:39:56 PST 2003

I just replaced the exhaust elbows on my A30 with plain black iron
available at plumbing suppliers. They cost a couple of dollars cdn each.

I used 2 "street elbows" and repaired the copper lift section with new
drain valve by using silver solder and an acetylene torch.

Parts: (2) 1" 1/4 street elbows, manifold gasket, exhaust flange gasket,

carb gasket.

I used a hack saw (you need good quality blades) to cut through the
exhaust elbows first then removed the copper section first.

Next step was to remove the exhaust manifold. To do this I removed the
carb and linkage first, then the manifold. The manifold was easy to
remove.

If you can try to remove bolts in exhaust flange and not remove the
manifold, but if they twist off, then you have to remove the manifold
anyway, and drill and tap etc. I preferred to not take that chance.

The hardest part was trying to remove the old elbow from exhaust flange
and the elbow from the bottom of the copper riser section. To do this I
used the acetylene torch to heat the exhaust parts and bench vise to
hold it in place while using a pipe wrench to remove old elbows.  It
would help to have two people to do this part. My neighbor and I did
this in the basement garage. He held the torch and applied the heat to
the elbows while I used the pipe wrench to loosen the elbows.

You have to be very careful working on the copper riser section so that
you do not damage it or melt the solder joints with too much heat.

It took me about 1.5 hrs to remove the parts in the boat and 1.5 hrs to
remove and replace exhaust elbows from manifold and copper riser
section.

I have discovered that a decent pair of knee pads is great for working
on the engine for extended periods.

I hope this helps.

-Bob
A30 KC560