[Alberg30] backing plate

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Mon Mar 24 14:33:39 PST 2003

Dave,

I like to anchor out, and I normally do it a lot. Although Revolution has been out of the water for the last 2 years, she should be afloat this Spring.

One of the things that I discovered about anchoring, was the disadvantage of not having a bow-mounted anchor roller. I looked at other designs, and talked to a lot of people, but couldn’t find a plan that I liked. The front of a late model A30 is a bit "busy". Finally, I came up with the one I am currently building.

It has been time-consuming and expensive, but I am hoping it will work well. I will give you a general description, and you can let me know if you want further detail.

The goal was to have a bow platform carrying an anchor roller. The roller should handle several anchor types, including Fortress, Delta, and Spade, and hold them securely. It must be usable without interfering with my roller furling drum. It must be strong enough to hold the forces generated in a 60 knot blow. It must not detract from the looks of the A30.

I determined that I wanted to use a Windline URM-1 as the anchor roller, both for it’s strength and for it’s versatility in handling different anchors.

The platform to hold the anchor roller is made of white oak which is finished with multiple coats of Sikkens Cetol. The dimensions are: 11" wide by 24" long by 1½" thick. There is a slot in the middle of the platform to hold Revolution’s stem fitting.

The stainless anchor roller is bolted to the right of the slot, and to the far right side of the oak platform. The furling drum overhangs half the roller’s width. This means that maneuvering the anchor shaft in and out of the roller shouldn’t be difficult. Also, much of the strength of the steel roller is imparted to the wooden platform it is bolted to.

Oak shims were cut (the shape is strange) to enable the platform to sit fair on the lip of the cast stem fitting. When cutting these shims, as well as the original wooden platform, I first used rigid pink insulating foam board, (which is 1 1/2" thick., and is easy to work with), to make dummies.

>From the back end of the anchor roller to the back end of the wooden platform, I have covered the top of the platform with 1/8" stainless plate, which then continues aft and rolls over the back edge of the anchor platform & goes down to the deck. This will protect the wood from the effects of the anchor rode dragging on top of it.

To let me pull the anchor up from any place on the foredeck (and avoid interference between the rode and the furling drum), I have put an inverted roller with a removable shaft on the steel plate behind the anchor roller. This keeps the rode horizontal while it is passing under the furling drum.

Under the back end of the wooden platform is a white oak block which is 5" wide, 2.5" fore & aft, and 4" high. The affair is secured to the boat by ½" by 7" stainless bolts which go through the 1/8" stainless plate, the 1.5" platform, the 4" block, and the ½" deck. There is a 1/8" stainless backing plate (6.5" x 8") epoxied under the deck.

An additional stainless securing strap holds the front of the platform down. It is 1" by 1/8" by 14", and runs from one of the front horizontal stem screws under the front of the platform, and up to the platform.

If you have any further questions about this installation, let me know. Keep in mind that the installation is not yet complete, so I can’t evaluate it’s performance or it’s success in meeting my goals yet.

Jay Davenport

 Dave Terrell <DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu> wrote:Could you give some descriptoin of your new bow platform and tell
something about how you made it. I will be dong the same thing soon and
would appreciate some input. Thanks. Sorry I can not help on your
specific question except to say that it sounds like a good question.

>>> jay at saildriver.com 03/19/03 08:02PM >>>

I will be installing a 6" by 8" stainless backing plate under the front
deck to anchor the new bow platform bolted through it. Because the under
side of the deck is not smooth or perfectly flat, I want to mix up an
epoxy paste to go between the plate and the underside of the deck. Can
anyone suggest the best brand and type of paste for this kind of
compressive situation?

Jay Davenport

Revolution, A30 #526

| Standard Horizon HX350S -- ON SALE NOW -- Submersible
Handheld VHF |

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=21563

Include command "unsubscribe
" in subject or body.