[Alberg30] #276 Bill & Mary Ann

Bill & Mary Ann Mahony mabwjm at starpower.net
Tue Mar 4 16:15:19 PST 2003

Henry-- I replied direct to your email.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Hilliard" <island_light at lycos.com>
To: <Public-list at alberg30.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 1:23 AM
Subject: [Alberg30] #276 Bill & Mary Ann

> Bill,
>
> I saw your posting below. I recently purchased Celeste #394 (spring 2002)
and was interested to hear of your many upgrades.
> My budget is pretty tight at present and am looking for used gear
particularly a winch or two. Would you be interested in selling this gear
(what condition are they in?) or other that is repairable/salvageable?

> Regards,
>
> Henry
>

>                               From: Alberg 30 public list
>                               Date: Sunday, March 02, 2003 11:17:13 AM
>                               To: Alberg 30 public list
>                               Subject: Re: [Alberg30] Request for
Purchasing Advice

>                               Dave & Barbara--
>
>                               Hi, Bill & Mary Ann Mahony here. We embarked
on the same journey last
>                               year about this time. As some of the others
who have replied, we live on
>                               the East Coast. However, when we were
looking, there weren't many boats for
>                               sale, so we actually wound up buying one we
found up in Michigan through
>                               Yachtworld.com.
>
>                               Our boat, #276 had led a fairly sheltered
life in fresh water, actually
>                               in the same slip since she was originally
purchased in 1967. We paid ~$14.5
>                               for her, and then paid $1500 to have her
shipped here to the bay. She
>                               arrived as surveyed, generally in pretty
good shape but essentially
>                               original. Even though she was very sailable
in her existing condition, we
>                               elected to go ahead and upgrade/redo quite a
few things on her once she
>                               arrived. Most of the work that was essential
we had the yard do as we are
>                               novices to this sort of work, and candidly,
I trusted the yard guys more
>                               than myself when it came to things that kept
the boat afloat ;-). We wound
>                               up replacing all the original gatevalve
seacocks and through hulls, dewiring
>                               and rewiring the 30+ years of accessories
that had been sort of jury rigged
>                               into her. We also wound up replacing the
spreaders, the companionway,
>                               icebox and cockpit locker hatch (all were
pretty rotted from age), several
>                               of the portlights and the head, as well as
redoing the bottom paint and
>                               repainting the transom so we could rename
her. We took advantage of some of
>                               the lessons learned from this list, and had
a holding tank installed, a new
>                               manual bilge pump for the cockpit, and as I
write this having new winches
>                               installed. We also had some of her earlier
"upgrades" redone--we added a
>                               second aluminum plate for the mast support
beam to the one already
>                               installed, and replaced the battery
recharger the earlier owners had
>                               installed with a more efficient, modern
unit. Ditto with the radio, etc.
>                               All totaled, we put about ~$20K in yard work
into her, not including the
>                               work we've done ourselves--mostly below
decks sanding, painting, varnishing.
>                               We put new white laminate up over the wood
bulkheads in the main saloon to
>                               cover some of the holes left by accessories
from earlier owners. We feel
>                               she's come a significant way from when we
first met her--we had the
>                               advantage of a great boat yard and one of
the members from the Assoc looking
>                               out for her while she was being worked on
(thanks Tom & Sheila, if you're
>                               reading this!). The only thing left, and
we'll just play it as it goes,
>                               will be the decision to reengine or rebuild
when her Atomic 4 decides to
>                               retire. Knock on wood, the engine appears to
be running well, so we hope to
>                               get at least another season (our first) out
of her before we have to make
>                               that decision.
>
>                               Find a good surveyor and they will be able
to lay out not only the
>                               status of your prospective boat, but they
will make recommendations on what
>                               needs to be done now, and what can be phased
in to ease the beating on your
>                               wallet. All of this is a long way of saying
the advice of the others here
>                               is very good--if someone has made a lot of
recent improvements to the boat,
>                               you will benefit as a seller can never
really expect to get their investment

>  |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents
per foot     |
http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?p
id=25719 |