[Alberg30] Toe Rail vs. Bulwarks

Gary Barker eyewander at prexar.com
Tue Mar 11 11:04:49 PST 2003

I am looking for input about replacement of toe rails.  Right now, I am
committed to removal, reinforcing and glassing the hull/deck joint and
using bulwarks.  But one question that i have concerns  what might
happen when the bulwarks get buried.  That is, will they have the
strength of the toe rail.  Here is what the thinking on this is:

> Hal Roth says this in "After 50,000 Miles":
> "After a great deal of thought, I ripped off the entire toe rail and
> filled in the 140 bolt holes. (Why is it that yachts must have more
> than 250 holes drilled through the deck?  With a little planning half
> the holes- potential leaks can be eliminated.)  Margaret and I then
> filled the hull deck crack with a mixture of fine sawdust and
> polyester resin, and with a disk grinder, we cut a 1/2 inch radius
> along the joint on the outside of the hull.  We then put a strip of 10
> oz fiberglass cloth 1/2 inch wide over the rounded joint.  This was
> followed by a second strip 1 inch, then 2 inch, 4 inches and so on up
> to 8 inches.... "
>
> The result was faired and painted.  He figured it added another 1/4
> inch to the hull deck joint.  I also would reinforce the chainplate
> area on the inside and add  two layers of cloth on the inside along
> the length of the joint.
>
> "The result? The annoying leaks stopped immediately, and we feel the
> hull and deck mating area is much stronger.  You can see no trace of
> the work except a slight flare at the deck level.
> In place of the toerails we added a 1x4 inch teak bulwark set 3/4
> inches above the deck on each side.
> The bulwarks are fastened every six feet to vertically placed foreand
> aft Everdur plates that I had welded on the outside of the bronze
> stantions.  The bulwark has been a complete success because  it is
> higher(for safety) and because of the 3/4 inch space underneath allows
> any water that lands on deck to run off at once."

I am not as keen on attaching everything to the stantions, but I want
to have cast bronze mounting brackets that support the bulwark and are
through bolted.  Probably set every four feet or so.  If I could get
the Matella Stantions, I might have both.  Stantion -support -stantion
-support.  In Spurrs Boatbook, there is a picture of a bulwark done
similar to this.  The area where the headsail sheet leads is on the
toerail will have some extra support supports every two feet or so.   I
might need to scarf together the lengths of wood, I could double up
where the track would be.  Now as far as the question of how this will
work when you bury the rail,  what is your impression?  I thought the
pressure would be relieved by having the 3/4 in space underneath.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary Barker
 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |