[Alberg30] NOOD NEWS (misspelled "Arlberg 30")

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Sun May 4 04:24:47 PDT 2003

The second day of racing at the Annapolis NOOD dawned cold and windy. A
stalled cold front that bedeviled sailors on Friday had finally pulled
through on Friday evening and brought colder temperatures and
northeasterly breezes on Saturday morning. Crews donned all the
clothing in their ditty bags and hoped for a few rays of sunshine, but
the big player wasn't the breeze or the temperature, but the current. A
strong ebb tide played a huge role in the racing Saturday, and
tacticians spent a great deal of the day either clapping themselves on
the back or wishing they'd spent the weekend doing gardening chores at
home.

"The current was a big deal today," said Larry Morris, of Severna Park,
MD, owner and driver of the Arlberg 30 Solstice. "Especially at the top
marks. Some people had to tack six or seven times before they were able
to round the mark." The Solstice crew are in fifth overall with 25
points, but were already planning their strategy for Sunday's racing.
"We need two races tomorrow," said Morris. "We've been inconsistent,
but plan on trying not to post a big number in the first race, which we
haven't done so far this event."

Click here for the Day 2 summary link to the full article:

http://www.sailingworld.com/sw_article.php?articleID=1797