[Alberg30] broken tillers?

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue May 6 02:22:39 PDT 2003

> Just curious.  How many people on this list have broken a tiller?

 George,
    If you mean ever on any boat, I had a tiller head fitting break off (not
the actual tiller itself) on a Tartan 27 off the coast of Virginia / North
Carolina border during a storm. Had to wait out the storm, jury rig a short
handle and go in through Oregon Inlet. Several days later, I found a marina
in Wilmington NC that was able to make a replacement for me (and an
emergency tiller with adapter as well).
    On my A30, I replaced the tiller head with a new one shortly after I
bought her, rather than deal with the excessive play that had developed.
Wasn't broken just worn and bent as is typical.
Brian
ex#497