[Alberg30] Anyone own a Mast Mate?

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Fri May 16 07:53:38 PDT 2003

A couple of additional thoughts.  I like the product and use in conjunction
with the safety harness that they also sell.  It has one strap that tightly
wraps around your waist and another larger strap that is used like a
telephone lineman strap that goes around the mast.   This allows you to
work with both hands and has storage space for tools etc.  It also has a
large ring attachment point for the larger strap that can also be used for
a second safety tether.

You can either have an assistant on deck maintain some slack on an extra
halyard as you go up or down or alternativey if you want to be self
sufficient a small cam device can be used.  I seem to recall that I
purchased this from the same company specifically for this purpose but it's
probably a common climbing device.  It is attached around an extra halyard
that is tensioned.  It has a short strap that clips to your safety harness
ring.  The cam allows it to follow you up the mast as long as upward
tension is on the strap.  Any downward tension on the strap locks the cam
and will prevent any further downward motion.  When you decend you simply
lift up where the strap attaches to the cam and slide it down as you go.
Sounds more complicated than it is.  I like having a redundant attachment
in case the primary halyard fails or you slip off the ladder.