[Alberg30] Straits of Juan de Fuca

PELLICK at aol.com PELLICK at aol.com
Sat May 17 18:36:37 PDT 2003

Hi Randy,

I was on a delivery run from Seattle to Portland Oregon on 47ft Custom built
Wishbone rigged sailboat a couple of  years ago. Sailing the Strait was
beautiful in September, though when we reached the Pacific at dusk the
weather took a turn for the worst. Fog rolled in and visibility plummeted to
about 50ft (one could barely see the bow). I was impressed with the Coast
Guard Traffic Control. They warned us of passing ships ; a few times they
told us to alter or hold our course to avoid collosion. Though we were racing
through the Strait with 15kt winds and fair seas during the day, nightfall
brought on fog and seas building to 10ft.
A radar would give you a picture of your surroundings, though without one a
good radio will keep you in touch with the watchkeepers of that area. Stay on
your side of the waterway and keep a good lookout. I had a brilliant
experience on that trip. Enjoy.

Ciao,

Paul Ellick #210