[Alberg30] Painting the mast

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon May 19 20:42:14 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/18/03 7:34:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lalondegc at vl.videotron.ca writes:

<< I'm looking for opinions on painting the mast and boom.

Hey Guy,
When an old aluminum mast loses the anodizing, it is open to oxidation and
deteriotion. Look at old boats that have not had their spars protected one
way or another, and you will see surface corrosion, and in the later stages,
surface pitting that weakens the mast walls, and any fitting fastenings.
Re-anodizing the spars is not practical, so painting them is the only option.
It is not just cosmetic, but preserves the strength and integrity of the
aluminum.

Stargazer's mast and boom had lost most of their anodizing long before we got
her. There was alot of surface corrosion, though there was no significant
pitting or loss of wall thickness.
I sanded both with 80 grit on a 10000 RPM orbital sander, just to clean off
the surface corrosion, and give the paint 'a tooth'. Two coats of Rustoleum
rolled on leaving a couple of days between, and the spars looked really nice.
I am sure any winch handle or wayward shackle that would ding the Rustoleum
would ding an Imron coating just as well.

Food for thought,
Lee