[Alberg30] Bottom Paint

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed May 21 09:35:05 PDT 2003

Ablative bottom paint doesn't really require sanding.  Instead, wet it
with a hose and use a 3M grill scrubber
(http://www.home-fix.com/admin/upload/Content/125_scotch-brite.gif) to
clean the surface and smooth the edges.  Where the paint has flaked off,
you might investigate why the paint didn't stick.  Perhaps the
fiberglass has some old wax or paint that needs to be removed.  After
cleaning off these areas, a light sanding will probably be advisable
before repainting.

  - George

Hansen, Richard D LTC Student wrote:
> Should have sent this earlier.
> After 6 months on the hard, I've power washed the bottom hull.
> Some of the 2 year old ablative paint has flaked off in small and big
> patches.  Questions on how best to proceed with new bottom paint.
> 1. Orbital sander with 60 to feather bare patches & overall bottom? OR
> 2. Buy glass friendly paint remover and remove all old ablative?  If so,
> will standard LOA X ? formula work for qty of paint remover?  Does this get
> too messy?  Easy or hard? Any value to leaving old ablative on the hull as
> protective layers? etc.
> 3. Other suggestions not covered in This Old Boat?
> I'm not a racer and looking to balance effort/time with results.  Thanks.

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy