[Alberg30] RE: Bukh 10 Startup

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu May 22 04:52:55 PDT 2003

Al-

I think there should be a bleed fitting on the injectors that you can
open to atmospheric pressure and then turn the engine over until fuel
starts coming out. I am not sure about this. I know that diesels pump
fuel to the injectors and then via a return line back to the tank (not
all fuel is injected). It sounds counterintuitive, but there is a good
reason for it (which I can't remember right at the moment). Anyway, look
at the fuel injectors and see if there is a nut you can loosen that will
open the fuel system to atmospheric pressure at the injector. Then crank
the engine till fuel starts coming out of the injectors, then close that
nut, then try again.

Somebody with a diesel probably knows this procedure better than me...

ciao

J Bergquist
Calliope #287