[Alberg30] RE: Bukh 10 Startup

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Fri May 23 06:03:58 PDT 2003

Mike,

Is this some kind of joke on the fact that I went to school in Holland?

Interesting to note that this diesel apparently also has a hand pump,
for priming the fuel system, just like the A-4, and like Bob chambers
mentioned was present on his 4-cylinder diesel. The instructions clearly
state that you should use the hand pump to prime the fuel system before
initial startup, then loosen the injector bleeder nut, then crank the
engine till there's no more air in the lines, then tighten the nut back
down. And I quote:

5. Ontlucht het bradnstofsysteem op de volgende wijze:
a) Pomp met behulp fan het hofboompje van de brandstofopvoerpomp (fig.
8) tot de brandstof in de doorzichtige slang naar de tank vrij van
luchtbellen is.
b) Maak zonodig de brandstofaansluiting op de verstuiverhouder los (fig.
3 pos. 26)
c) Draai de motor dan tot de brandstof vrij is van luchtbellen. Zet de
leidingsaansluiting op de verstuiver weer vast.

Translation:

5. Bleed the fuel system in the following manner:
a) Pump with the handle on the fuel lift pump till the fuel in the clear
sight on the bowl is free of bubbles.
b) Loosen the fuel connection on the injector.
c) Crank the engine till no more air is in the lines. Then re-tighten
the injector connection.

You didn't think I'd be able to read that manual, did you?

Oh, and I looked at the rest of their website, and it is decidedly
unrepresentative of the general dutch weather...way too many pictures of
clear skies, and nowhere near enough rain...

thanks for the link, and the chance to de-winterize my rusty old dutch
skills...

Okay that's really enough engine talk for one week. I promise no more
motor posts on this list.

ciao ;-)