[Alberg30] Packing nut/seal for prop shaft

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Fri May 23 07:58:24 PDT 2003

Mike, When I bought one of these to install on my boat a few years ago I
noticed that the allen head machine screw which came with it to hold the
zinc on the shaft was a regular iron screw. Well since I bought it mail
order I didn't have anyone to ask so I assumed they knew what they were
doing and I used it to install the zinc. I guess I figured since it was
right at the zinc it was suppose to be ok. Also I was only going in
fresh water. ..... WRONG !!!  When I pulled the boat less than two years
later the screw was so rusted that I had to cut the tip off of the zinc
and remove the screw with vice grip pliers.

My question: Shouldn't this have come with a SS or bronze screw? Have
the ones you have installed been supplied with iron allen head screws?
Just something that I have been wondering about.

Tom S