[Alberg30] REPLACING MY VOLVO 10HP

Yves Parenteau yves at epcga.com
Mon May 26 13:01:50 PDT 2003

good afternoon everyone,

I presently have a volvo penta 10hp in my A30 and I am looking to replace
the engine before leaving for my journey.  My wife & I have bought Chewan to
take her down south then if all goes well across the Panama canal into the
pacific. I am concern about that lack of hp in rough weather. I can reach
hull speed right now but would be much more at ease with 18hp and some
reliability.  I'm thinking in the lines of perkins or westerbeke.  We are
planning on taking a 6 or 7 year sabatical and also wondering if a fresh
water cooling system will give me 10 years of salt water abuse or should I
consider a cooling system.  Any info or suggestions on engine size and make
would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Yves