[Alberg30] Hull Gelcoat repair

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu May 29 07:06:30 PDT 2003

Is your hull currently painted?  If so, with what?  Do you want to paint it?

Are there chunks of gelcoat missing?  If so, you'll want to fill those
places whether you're going to paint or leave it bare.  There's no need
to use gelcoat patch unless you're leaving it bare.  A filler putty will
be much easier to handle.

  - George

Hansen, Richard D LTC Student wrote:
> Hull has some rub marks, scratches, dings that look suitable for what West
> Marine recommends gelcoat repair.  Most of area is where stiff bumbers
> rubbed hull in winter time leaving a large area of scratches.  How best to
> repair...gelcoat or some epoxy or marine putty?  Also, I presume once sanded
> smooth with 220 grit, repair can be painted with rest of topside of hull?

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy