[Alberg30] Dinghies

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Thu May 29 15:57:15 PDT 2003

Hello there -

I use a funnel with a 6" mouth held about 6' ahead of the dink by knots in
the line.  (Yes, the pointy end goes forward!)   It just skips along until
the dink surfs forward and reverses the pull on the painter, then it does
its thing.

I agree with the earlier writer who said that the dink should be let back so
that it is on the forward face of one of the stern waves - that makes a big
diff but in practice when sailing in decent waves it is difficult to see
where the wave train is, so we let it back enough so can pick its way.

With regard to drag; drag is considerable until the dinghy begins to plane -
about 3.5 or 4 knots, then drag is negligible.  Choosing a dinghy with good
planing characteristics is important... bearing in mind of course that the
happier the dink is surfing the more annoying (dangerous) it will be in big
following seas.

In my Folkboat days we towed when cruising and were in the habit of throwing
a length of line over the thing's stern to calm it down.

I like a rigid dink because it is so effective rowing in strong winds and
for setting anchors etc.

Another little trick was to install a racing dinghy-type auto-bailer in the
bottom.  Leave it open while sailing and the dink will never fill up from
spray etc.  And oh was I cursing once hove to with the dinghy surging and
banging alongside while I hung upside down (and up, as each wave rolled by)
trying to open the bailer I had forgotten to open before leaving the
anchorage...

Gord
#426 Surprise