[Alberg30] Dinghies

Charles B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Fri May 30 04:54:29 PDT 2003

I have a therory of the 4 c's. let me throw in some background.

I grew up with my family dragging a 6 foot "Row Boat" behind us all over
new england.  It sank, it floated, it was always 15 - 30 feet behind the
boat. It would ride up behind the boat, and bang into it.  We had used
garden hose   as a rubrail & that worked nicely. Heven went through a few
nor-easters  where the row boat was hauled up on deck and stored over the
cockpit, lashed upside down. Mind you this was not in an alberg but the a
similar sized boat. Once the boat came down to annapolis, dad used to tow
a 12 foot cat boat behind for us kids to practice sailing on. It was a
great way to get us off the boat for an hour or 2 in the evening.

That too was always towed 15 -30 feet behind.  Generally the only worry
about all of these was reversing.  You alsways had to be mindful of the
towing line not getting caught in the prop.

I believe that the longer behind the better for the quality of the dingies
ride. I also believe that if you have children or unstable passengers
trailing a boat behind allows for that emergency measure in case of "man
overboard". We would also trail an even longer 50 + foot line. Dad wasn't
too paranoid about loosing us, but was careful to have some ways to
account for us.  Ths line and the row boat were always there.

Today, I travel with an inflatable that can be hoisted aboard, deflated
and stored in a locker, like many others. I have issue with the dinks
since If I sit in one, no one else can. (I weigh 250+ lbs). THerefore I
realized that the inflatable is a worthwile investment for a few reasons.
Capacity, compactability, comfort, c-worthyness. My 4 c's.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity # 57