[Alberg30] REPLACING MY VOLVO 10HP

Larry Morris larmor at myexcel.com
Tue May 27 07:07:22 PDT 2003

Yves,

I couldn't agree more with J.  This change in lifestyle I think is an
attempt to slow down and smell the roses. If you are on a passage is it
reasonable to start motoring when the wind dies?  My approach would be to
grab a book and read or due the ongoing maintenance that will be required.
Ask yourself this, will it really matter in the grand scheme whether you
arrive in 15 days or 18 days or 22 days.  I don't think so.

Long range cruising does not happen on the precise hourly schedule of modern
society.  That will be an adjustment as you transition to your new life
style.

However, I would invest in greater reliability in my auxiliary.  I would
reduce the motoring range to some where between 250-500 miles.  Assuming a
1/2 gallon/hr. consumption rate at 5 knots, 50 gallons of fuel is required.
You are going to be challenged to find room to store it. And that is only
500 miles.

For the record, I motored on a passage from northern lake Huron to Detroit,
38 hrs Non-stop.  It was not pretty!!

Regards,

Larry Morris, Sales Account Manager
Brillion Iron Works, Inc.