[Alberg30] Master and Commander

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Nov 12 02:32:52 PST 2003

Hi Roger-

I haven't seen that piece myself although my brother says he saw me on it...
They did a long interview with me and he says he saw me showing Russell how
to use dividers on a chart etc....  and that History Vs Hollywood thing was
my work - I was standing beside the director while we did it. (I have to
wonder what sort of education the US Navy is giving its cadets after
spending a day with their "resident historian".  The poor guy just could not
get it through his head that in our story the Royal Navy are the good
guys...)

We have been doing interviews non stop for nearly a month now and am heading
for England tomorrow to do the same with Russell working up to the Royal
Premier Monday.  (Funniest interview was with a Mexican lady who asked me at
the END of her piece if I remove any clothing in the film - to which her
producer hollared "he's not an actor!")  I can honestly say that I could get
used to star treatment.  What a wonderful bouquet of things are encompassed
by the phrase "International Press Junket..." my wife says I should not get
used to it and just reminded me that I promised to get the storm windows up
before the big black limo comes to take me to the airport tomorrow.

 But before that I have to get my Alberg ashore and winterize the engine!
That will happen this morning I hope.

We have done media pre-screenings across N.A. this past while - mighty nice
to see warm receptions from critics and press.  Of particular pleasure was
last Monday in Toronto where I delivered my warm-up speech for the film to
an audience containing my parents.   Another wonderful surprise that night
was the discovery of a posse of my ex-Toronto Brigantine Inc captains and
officers who got themselves into the theatre & ambushed me afterwards - what
a reunion that was.

I will be in the UK launching the film until the 23rd, then back to normal
life for a while.  Please let me know what you think of how we treated this
subject... we did our very best to be faithful to O'Brian and of course to
honour the Royal Navy.

Yours aye -

Gordon Laco, Historical Consultant & Lead Technical Advisor - "Master and
Commander - The Far Side of the World" - and of course keeper of Alberg 30
#426 Surprise