[Alberg30] Valency On The Hard

mmeinhold at toadmail.com mmeinhold at toadmail.com
Tue Nov 18 07:28:47 PST 2003

   My brother-in-law and I took Valency down to Herrington Harbor in Deale this
past Saturday.  The sail was great- on a 20 mile beam reach with 14-19 knots,
we averaged more than 7 knots. That average leaves out the time we were stuck
on the bottom at both ends!

   The tide was midway up when we left Podickory, but because of the days of
west wind, it was still 2 feet or more below normal low. I knew we would have
trouble getting out, and we were on the bottom for an hour. When the tide came
up, we were able to sail off.

   In Deale, we first went to HH South to pump the holding tank. Getting up to
Deale harbor we hit bottom in the channel, but got through. At the mouth of the
harbor we got stuck hard, in the channel. A powerboat pulled us off, and we
poked in the rest of the way.

  We made several approaches to the alley the slip was in and kept running out
of water.  We finally found a deeper channel, and were cruising along at 3
knots when we abruptly hit something hard and passed over it - I think it was a
piling on the bottom. I will be interested in seeing the keel!

Did anyone else go sailing on the Chesapeake this weekend and do some sounding?

Mike
This mail sent using ToadMail -- Web based e-mail @ ToadNet