[Alberg30] Re: Master & Commander

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Nov 24 08:41:45 PST 2003

  I was impressed with the movie, as was my son, a USN commander.
Especially on the tactics, which showed the importance in the days of
sail of crossing the opponents' "T" or stern, where a broadside could
rake the entire length of  his deck while in return he could only fire a
couple of stern guns. Same if crossing ahead, though the bow might
deflect a few cannonballs.

    That tactic is directly analogous to sea tactics in the days of
steam when a fleet crossing the other's "T" could fire all of its
turrets while the enemy could fire back only either its forward or its
stern guns. That was Japanese admiral Togo's tactic when he wiped out
the Russians at the Battle of Tsushima Straits in 1905.

    The last crossing of the "T" in naval gunfire warfare came on
October 25th, 1944, when Adm. Jesse B. Oldendorf's battleship squadron
destroyed the Japanese Southern Force in the Battle of  Suriagiao
Straits in the Philippines.

- Gordon White